[lxc-users] LXC, Debian buster and PAM-CGFS[41830]: Failed to get list of controllers

Dirk Geschke dirk at lug-erding.de
Tue Nov 19 18:34:26 UTC 2019

Hi all,

> maybe someone has a clue for me. I just tried to setup an completely
> unprivileged LXC on a Debian buster (SysV-Init) with an LXC buster
> container.
>
> But this fails (it is a download image of debian buster, so it tries
> to use systemd...):
>
>    $ lxc-start -n lxc-$USER -F
>    Failed to lookup module alias 'autofs4': Function not implemented
>    Failed to mount cgroup at /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd: Operation not permitted
>    [!!!!!!] Failed to mount API filesystems.
>    Exiting PID 1...
>
> And I see in /var/log/auth.log a lot of this:
>
>    PAM-CGFS[41962]: Failed to get list of controllers

strange, I installed after a reboot debian stretch, changed to
systvinit and upgraded to buster. That hangs on startup with
cgmanager, so since I don't need it, I removed it. Now it is
working, but I still see this in auth.log:

   PAM-CGFS[5167]: Failed to get list of controllers

I'm not sure, if this is a problem, but at least, it sounds like
one...

Best regards

Dirk