[lxc-users] Unprivileged containers with /home on NFS, chown not permitted

Kaj Wiik kaj.wiik at iki.fi
Wed Feb 20 10:53:11 UTC 2019

I investigated further and if I
chown 101001.101001 autossh
in the NFS mounted directtory in the host, everything works for that
particular user.

But I cannot e.g.
# adduser foo
Adding user `foo' ...
Adding new group `foo' (1002) ...
Adding new user `foo' (1002) with group `foo' ...
Creating home directory `/home/foo' ...
Stopped: chown 1002:1002 /home/foo: Operation not permitted

in the container...

I already changed the NFS share subtree ownership to the mapped one (42000
in my case) and asked to disable subtree check from the share (not yet
done).

This must be something with the difference of normal directory and NFS but
what...?

Thanks,
Kaj