[lxc-users] Static container IP with unmanaged bridge network

Daniele Riccucci devster at posteo.net
Sat Feb 9 17:41:20 UTC 2019

Hello,

I'm using LXD on Ubuntu 18.04 (snap installation).
I'd like to set a static IP on a bridged interface which is not managed
by LXD.

Below the configs I have:

$ lxc profile show my-test-config
config: {}
devices:
   eth0:
     name: eth0
     nictype: bridged
     parent: br0
     type: nic
   root:
     path: /
     pool: default
     type: disk
name: my-test-config

And the netplan config for the host machine:

$ cat /etc/netplan/netplan.yml
# Let networkd manage all devices on this system
network:
   version: 2
   renderer: networkd
   ethernets:
     id0:
       match: {name: "eno[1-2]"}
       dhcp4: true
       wakeonlan: true
     switchports:
       match: {name: "eno[3-4]"}
   bonds:
     bond0:
       interfaces: [switchports]
       # dhcp4: true
       dhcp4: false
       parameters:
         mode: 802.3ad
   bridges:
     br0:
       interfaces: [bond0]
       dhcp4: true

+---------+----------+---------+-------------+---------+
|  NAME   |   TYPE   | MANAGED | DESCRIPTION | USED BY |
+---------+----------+---------+-------------+---------+
| bond0   | bond     | NO      |             | 0       |
+---------+----------+---------+-------------+---------+
| br0     | bridge   | NO      |             | 0       |
+---------+----------+---------+-------------+---------+
| docker0 | bridge   | NO      |             | 0       |
+---------+----------+---------+-------------+---------+
| eno1    | physical | NO      |             | 0       |
+---------+----------+---------+-------------+---------+
| eno2    | physical | NO      |             | 0       |
+---------+----------+---------+-------------+---------+
| eno3    | physical | NO      |             | 0       |
+---------+----------+---------+-------------+---------+
| eno4    | physical | NO      |             | 0       |
+---------+----------+---------+-------------+---------+
| lxdbr0  | bridge   | YES     |             | 0       |
+---------+----------+---------+-------------+---------+

This brings up a container with a DHCP address on eth0, visible by the
network thanks to the bridge over the bonded interface.

|    NAME     |  STATE  |            IPV4              |    TYPE    |
| bionic-test | RUNNING | 10.0.0.181 (eth0)            | PERSISTENT |

I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out from the documentation if
adding ipv4.address to devices > eth0 in the profile would work and if
this requires a simple IP or a CIDR.
Is this setup possible since the bridge device isn't managed by LXD?
Thank you.