[lxc-users] setgid: Operation not permitted

Kaj Wiik kaj.wiik at iki.fi
Tue Apr 9 09:55:10 UTC 2019

I have an unprivileged container with Ubuntu 18.04 with autossh for remote
port forwarding.

Everything worked fine until I tried to bind mount a NFS disk (mounted to
host) to the container with uid=33 gid=33. What is curious, everything
worked for a while but then a user reported that he cannot access to that
disk. And indeed, it was mounted now in the container as nobody uid/gid.

In the process of debugging, I removed the bind mount and rebooted the
container. After reboot su does not work:
# su autossh
setgid: Operation not permitted

I have rebooted the container and done lxd init --auto but nothing works. I
have several identical containers where su definitely works.

As this is a production container I am in a state of panic. Please help!

Thanks,
KAj