[lxc-users] How to recover from ERROR state

Christian Brauner christian at brauner.io
Tue Sep 11 13:40:17 UTC 2018

> Kees Bakker <keesb at ghs.com> hat am 11. September 2018 um 15:13 geschrieben:
>

> Hey,
>
> Every now and then we have one or more containers in state ERROR.
> Is there a clever method to recover from that, other than
> rebooting the LXD server?
>
> Killing the monitor and the forkstart does help. And also a kworker
> process (kworker/u16:0) is eating up one of the CPUs with 100% load.
> lxc info gives "error: Monitor is hung"

If I'm not mistaken this is usually caused by a hanging lxc-monitord
process which older LXC versions still use and which is removed in
newer LXC versions.
Can you check whether you see a lxc-monitord process when such a hang
happens. If so, kill it. Afterwards things should work fine again.

> I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 with BTRFS. The kernel is 4.15.0-33-generic

Cc stgraber since I don't have in mind what LXC version is used
and if it is one that has already gotten rid of lxc-monitord.

Christian