[lxc-users] Failed to reset devices.list (etc)

Richard Hector richard at walnut.gen.nz
Sun Sep 9 13:30:42 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I have messages like this in the logs on several of my (lxc, not lxd)
containers:

systemd[1]: phpsessionclean.service: Failed to reset devices.list:
Operation not permitted

systemd[1]: run-user-1000.mount: Failed to reset devices.list: Operation
not permitted

systemd[1]: apt-daily.service: Failed to reset devices.list: Operation
not permitted

systemd[1]: Failed to reset devices.list on
/system.slice/systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service: Operation not permitted

systemd[1]: Failed to reset devices.list on
/system.slice/apt-daily.service: Operation not permitted

Host is debian stretch, guests are a mix of debian and ubuntu.

Searching the web finds various results of various ages; some claim to
be fixed, others not.

Some claim it's an issue with unprivileged containers only, but AFAIK
I'm using privileged containers only (how do I tell?)

What I can't find is:

What is devices.list, what specifically (in each case) wants to reset
it, and why?

Can and should I stop it, and how?

There are some references to setting "PrivateNetwork=false" in the
service file (for the phpsessionclean one, at least) - but that didn't
seem to have any effect.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Richard