[lxc-users] ulimits from systemd into lxd container - divison by 1000?

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Mon Oct 15 06:19:25 UTC 2018

Hi,

while experimenting with Hashicorp's Vault, I observed that the
necessary memlock limit is passed into the lxd container differently
from what I would expect from the systemd-units settings.

I am on Ubuntu 18.04 with 4.15.0-36-generic #39-Ubuntu and LXD 3.0.1.

Giving

cat /etc/systemd/system/lxd.service.d/00-memlock.conf
[Service]
LimitMEMLOCK=256M

via systemd results in 256kB observable via `ulimit -l` inside the
container. The division seems to be the same for at least all powers
of two from 32k to 256M.

I could not find an explanation. Does anybody have a hint or knows the
answer outright?

Thanks and cheers,
--
Christopher