[lxc-users] filesystem full -> lxd won't start after freeing space

Free Ekanayaka free.ekanayaka at canonical.com
Sun May 6 08:55:48 UTC 2018

Hello,

Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> writes:

> I have a Ubuntu 16.04 server with LXD 3.0 installed from snap.
>
> I've filled the disk to 100% to get "No space left on device".
>
> A while later, it was not possible to use "lxc shell container" or "lxc
> list", because of:
>
> Error: Get http://unix.socket/1.0: dial unix
> /var/snap/lxd/common/lxd/unix.socket: connect: connection refused
>

> The same error shows up after freeing space and restarting the server.
>
> How to debug this?
>
> No scary messages in /var/snap/lxd/common/lxd/logs/lxd.log"

[...]
> lvl=info msg="LXD isn't socket activated" t=2018-05-06T08:00:36+0000

This particular message seems weird. AFAIK LXD should be socket
activated when deployed with the snap.

Perhaps it's related to the disk full issue? Maybe Stephane has more
insight bout this.

About the panic, I assume it's still the case that you can't start the
LXD daemon because it panics at startup all the times?

Please would send us tar with the content /var/snap/lxd/common/lxd/database?
(or /var/snap/lxd/common/lxd/raft/, depending on which version of the
snap you use).

I believe this particular crash has been solved in our master branches,
but probably it's not the build you have. I'll give a look at the data
you send to confirm that, and possibly post a workaround.

Free