[lxc-users] Macvlan explained

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Fri May 4 09:00:57 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Michel Jansens
<michel.jansens at ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just stumbled on this site and thought it would be nice to share:
>
> https://hicu.be/bridge-vs-macvlan
>
> It nicely explains how Macvlan work and how it compares with normal bridges.
> In the case of LXD, I suppose the macvlan bridge mode is used?
> It also mentions that although VMs cannot directly communicate with the
> host, you can add another macvlan sub-interface and assign it to the host to
> enable communication…

I would be interested to see that in an example and I hope that the
article does not refer to some
other software implementation of macvlan (like in Cisco routers) and
not the Linux kernel implementation.
Here is an article on Docker and macvlan, that explains more on sub-interfaces,
https://github.com/docker/libnetwork/blob/master/docs/macvlan.md