[lxc-users] bionic image not getting IPv4 address

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu May 3 13:40:00 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 8:09 PM, David Favor <david at davidfavor.com> wrote:
> This is tricky... Netplan forced abuse is similar to systemd... No one
> likes systemd + it works abysmally + it was crammed down everyone's
> throat.
>
> It appears Netplan will be the same.
>
> Eventually some update will likely wipe out old networking + force upgrade
> to Netplan.

>From what I can tell so far, netplan is similar to network-manager, in
the sense that both can manage network, and both can be uninstalled
just fine (obviously with some functionality loss, but perfectly fine
for minimal server install running zfs + lxd). It was that way in
16.04 (the network-manager part, that is), and it's that way currently
in 18.04.

I find it hard to see ubuntu breaking that functionality on LTS
release. On the next releases, perhaps.

Of course, if you have a reference that says otherwise, do share the link.

>>> LXD via SNAP (which is only LXD install option on Bionic).
>>

>> Not true. It's not the ONLY option.
>>
>> # apt policy lxd
>> lxd:
>>   Installed: 3.0.0-0ubuntu4
>>   Candidate: 3.0.0-0ubuntu4
>>   Version table:
>>  *** 3.0.0-0ubuntu4 500
>>         500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
>>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>>

> Currently APT packages are being maintained for backwards compatibility.
>
> And be aware. The APT packages no longer receive updates, so for example
> the patches produced this week fixing many LXD bugs will only be available
> to you, if you switch to SNAP.
>
> LXD 3.0 initial (no patches) is the last APT supported LXD release.
>
> This is covered somewhere on the LXD site.

Is there a link?

I know of the PPA deprecation (not ubuntu official repository, but the
ppa), i.e. https://www.mail-archive.com/lxc-users@lists.linuxcontainers.org/msg07938.html

https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/getting-started-cli/ says apt with official repo
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/lxd.html also says apt
(although to be fair, the page hierarcy starts with 'ubuntu 18.04',
but the page content still has 16.04)

--
Fajar