[lxc-users] bionic image not getting IPv4 address

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu May 3 03:58:44 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-03 12:09, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

>> If you do a "lxc profile show default" you will probably find it
>> doesn't
>> have an IPv4 network attached by default. I haven't yet found a simple
>> step by step howto example of how to setup a network for v3.0 but in
>> my
>> case I use a bridge on my host and create a new profile that
>> includes...
>>
>> lxc network attach-profile lxdbr0 [profile name] eth0
>>
>> then when I manually launch a container I use something like...
>>
>> lxc launch images:ubuntu-core/16 uc1 -p [profile name]
>
> The bionic container is attached to a bridge with IPv4 networking.
>
> Besides, xenial container is getting IPv4 address just fine, while
> bionic is not.
>

> The issue is not LXD 3.0 specific - I'm able to reproduce this on
> servers with LXD 2.21 and LXD 3.0.

I'm able to reproduce this issue with these LXD servers:

- Ubuntu 16.04 with LXD 2.21 from deb
- Ubuntu 18.04 with LXD 3.0.0 from deb
- Ubuntu 16.04 with LXD 3.0.0 from snap

Reproducing is easy:

# lxc launch images:ubuntu/bionic/amd64 bionic-broken-dhcp

Then wait a few secs until it starts - "lxc list" will show it has IPv6
address (if your bridge was configured to provide IPv6), but not IPv4
(and you can confirm by doing "lxc shell", too):

# lxc list

On the other hand, this works fine with xenial, and "lxc list" will show
this container is getting an IPv4 address:

# lxc launch images:ubuntu/bionic/amd64 xenial-working-dhcp

Tomasz Chmielewski
https://lxadm.com