[lxc-users] LXD project status

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 00:53:14 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 8:42 PM, Saint Michael <venefax at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using LCX, plain vanilla. Is there a reading the can help me move to
> LXD 3.0? I am afraid I cannot see why would anybody use LXD vs regular LXC.
> I can do anything I need, so far, with LXC. To copy a container to another
> server I use rsync with some special parameters.
> In general what is the great advantage of using LXD?

LXD is based on the same technologies as LXC, and has no special
kernel component, so it can only use the same kernel interfaces LXC
uses for containerization. So from that perspective, anything you can
do with LXC, you can do with LXD, and vice versa.

A major benefit of LXD is in the simplicity of setting up containers
that are isolated from the host and eachother, with the ability to
treat them like VMs with your security posture. To achieve that on LXC
is significantly more work.

Also, networking is IMO significantly easier with LXD for many common
setups. You won't notice much easier networking in LXD 2.0, but the
latest stable release (2.21) is certainly nice with the amount of work
it does for you.

The goal of LXD is to become as secure and simple as something like
kvm/qemu/vmware/virtualbox, but without any of the overhead of a
hypervisor, kernel on top of kernel, filesystem on top of filesystem,
etc.

See also: https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/comparing-lxd-vs-lxc/24

Sean