[lxc-users] LXC copy snapshots only to remote?

Lai Wei-Hwa whlai at robco.com
Wed Mar 7 17:03:11 UTC 2018

Hi Everyone,

I'm probably not fully grasping how LXC containers/snapshotting works, but why isn't the following possible?

Host 	Container
	Monday
	Tuesday
	Wed
	Thurs

H1
	C1 (fresh Ubuntu)
	SA (added apache)
	SB (removed apache and added nginx)
	SC (hardened nginx config)
	Host dies

H2
	C2 (created from C1 Snapshot B)

	SC (with hardened nginx config)

On Tuesday, I snapshot C1 (creating SB) and stop the container. I then jump on a new host (H2) and copy snapshot B:

H2$ lxc copy H1:C1/SB C2

At this point, my C2 is equivalent to C1 + SA + SB. Thus, I believe that C1 + SA + SB = C2

On Wednesday, I take Snapshot C on H1.

I believe that on Wednesday, after taking SC, I should be able to copy SC alone to H2. And then on Thursday, when H1 dies, I should be able to go to H2 and launch SC (C2 + SC) and have the same container I had on H! when I first took Snapshot C.

If I'm wrong, why am I wrong? If I'm right, how do I copy SC by itself (and not the whole container) to H2 on Wednesday?

Best Regards,

Lai Wei-Hwa
IT Administrator
T. (514) 367-2252 ext 6308 C. (514) 218-7400 [ mailto:whlai at robco.com | whlai at robco.com ]