[lxc-users] Network instability with bridged nat and macvlan interfaces

Michel Jansens michel.jansens at ulb.ac.be
Wed Jun 6 19:08:56 UTC 2018

Hi,

I’m running on Ubuntu18.04 LXC 3.0.0.

I’ve created 5 debian9 containers with default eth0 networking on NAT:

# lxc network show lxdbr0
config:
  ipv4.address: 10.1.1.1/24
  ipv4.dhcp.ranges: 10.1.1.2-10.1.1.99
  ipv4.nat: "true"
  ipv6.address: fd42:6f79:c120:7701::1/64
  ipv6.nat: "true"
name: lxdbr0
type: bridge

One of the containers (frontal) has an additional interface configured with:

# lxc network attach vlan7 frontal
# lxc config show kspreprodfrontal
…
devices:
  vlan7:
    nictype: macvlan
    parent: vlan7
    type: nic

vlan7 is a flan with id: 7 configured in /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml
vlans:
    vlan7:
      id: 7
      link: enp1s0f0

I’ve changed the frontal host internal networking so that eth1 comes first and default route is going through eth1.
Everything works internal and external…except from time to time, the frontal starts refusing connexions from the outside for a few seconds (up to 50).
It looks like general networking because all ports suddenly stop working (connexion refused)
internally the frontal remains reachable
I’m running haproxy on ports 80 and 443, but also tried running apache2 on port 8082. All ports go down at the same time.

I’ve now installed an Ubuntu (16.04) container and added the vlan7 network the same way.
It worked fine…for about an hour and stopped working again, but for good.
What is weird is that port 80 and 443 are refused but port 22 is working (maybe that’s the host ssh?).

Any idea?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Cheers,

Michel

PS: Sorry for my previous post where I replied to another message and apparently messing with another thread...