[lxc-users] What is the state of the art for lxd and wifi ?

john john at tonebridge.com
Tue Jul 24 00:16:26 UTC 2018

On 07/23/2018 06:47 AM, Pierre Couderc wrote:

> On 07/23/2018 12:37 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 5:33 PM, Pierre Couderc <pierre at couderc.eu
>> <mailto:pierre at couderc.eu>> wrote:
>>

>>     On 07/23/2018 12:12 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>>>     Relevant to all VM-like in general (including lxd, kvm and
>>>     virtualbox):
>>>     - with the default bridged setup (on lxd this is lxdbr0),
>>>     VMs/containers can access internet
>>>     (...)
>>>     - bridges (including macvlan) does not work on wifi
>>>

>>     Sorry, it is not clear for me how default bridges "can access
>>     internet",  if simultaneously "bridges (including macvlan) does
>>     not work on wifi" ?
>>

>> My bad for not being clear :)
>>
>> I meant, the default setup uses bridge + NAT (i.e. lxdbr0). The NAT
>> is automatically setup by LXD. That works. If your PC can access the
>> internet, then anything on your container (e.g. wget, firefox, etc)
>> can access the internet as well.
>>

>> Bridge setups WITHOUT nat (those that bridge containers interface
>> directly to your host interface, e.g. eth0 or wlan), on the other
>> hand, will only work for wired, and will not work for wireless.
>>

> Mmm, do you mean that there is no known solution to use LXD with wifi ?

Based on what has been indicated here and my own understanding there are
two high level ways you can access the network:  1) bridge + NAT and 2)
containers directly access the host interface.

With option 1 the container can access the network via the host even if
that host interface is wifi based.   You will configure the wifi on the
host.