[lxc-users] Unable to update to lxc version 3.0.2-0ubuntu4~16.04.1

Rajiv Telang telangrajiv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 12:27:09 UTC 2018

Hi,

I recently created ubuntu 16.04 box and trying to install
3.0.2-0ubuntu4~16.04.1 on it. Below are the steps that I ran.

1. After setting the proper proxies I ran the command
    *sudo apt-get update*
2. After that ran the command
    *sudo apt-get install lxc*
    This installed lxc version 2.0.8 on the system.
*2.0.8-0ubuntu1~16.04.2*
3. I tried to run following command to check the latest lxc for me
   * sudo apt-cache policy lxc*
This returned
*lxc:*
*  Installed: 2.0.8-0ubuntu1~16.04.2*
*  Candidate: 2.0.8-0ubuntu1~16.04.2*
*  Version table:*
*     3.0.2-0ubuntu4~16.04.1 100*
*        100 http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
<http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu> xenial-backports/main amd64 Packages*
*        100 http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
<http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu> xenial-backports/main i386 Packages*
4. Tried this command to install 3.0.2

*    sudo apt-get install lxc=3.0.2-0ubuntu4~16.04.1*
And got below error

*Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree       Reading state
information... DoneSome packages could not be installed. This may mean that
you haverequested an impossible situation or if you are using the
unstabledistribution that some required packages have not yet been
createdor been moved out of Incoming.The following information may help to
resolve the situation:The following packages have unmet dependencies: lxc :
Depends: lxc-utils (>= 3.0.2-0ubuntu4~16.04.1) but it is not going to be
installedE: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.*

I tried to install the lxc-utils as well but unable to get to lxc 3.0.2. Is
there a way to install it on ubuntu 16.04?

Thanks and regards,
Rajiv