[lxc-users] [nova-lxd plugin]: Installation problem on Ubuntu 16.04 with LXD 3.4

Martin Bobák martin.bobak at savba.sk
Thu Aug 30 12:08:42 UTC 2018

Hi all,

what is a recommended way to install the nova-lxd plugin?

I deployed OpenStack Queens (and Pike out of curiosity) at Ubuntu 16.04
(since Ubuntu 18.04 haven't been supported by Queens officially yet)
with LXD 3.4 by devstack local.conf from
https://github.com/openstack/nova-lxd/blob/master/devstack/local.conf.sample.
I have found out two ways how to install the nova-lxd plugin:

 1. *allowing the nova-lxd plugin during installation* (by including a
    following line enable_plugin nova-lxd
    https://git.openstack.org/openstack/nova-lxd into a devstack
    local.conf). However, this line causes a following compilation error:

    /ERROR:root:Error parsing TypeError: super() argument 1 must be
    type, not None//
    //    error in setup command: Error parsing
    /tmp/pip-build-Sksse4/pylxd/setup.cfg: TypeError: super() argument 1
    must be type, not None//
    //Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in
    /tmp/pip-build-Sksse4/pylxd///
    /
 2. *through cloud-archive repo.* Since, I am not able to see nova-lxd
    package directly (I tried many repos, but each of attempts ended up
    with the same result). Thus, I installed following packages:
    nova-compute-lxd, python-nova-lxd, and python-nova.lxd. However,
    this causes two types of errors:
      * OpenStack Pike -> series of serious errors in the *horizon
        module*. The web interface isn't able to connect to the other
        modules properly. I got following errors:/

        Error: Unable to retrieve the extensions.
        /
        /Error: //Unable to retrieve the extensions./
        //
        /Error: //Unable to retrieve the extensions./
        //
        /Error: //Unable to retrieve the extensions./
        //
        /Error: //Unable to retrieve the extensions./
        //
        /Error: //Unable to retrieve the flavours./
        //
        /Error: //Unable to retrieve the limits./
        //
        /Error: //Unable to retrieve the availability zones./
        //
        /Error: //Unable to retrieve the keypairs./
        //
        /Error: //Unable to retrieve the extensions./
        //
        ///<http://147.213.65.122/dashboard/project/instances/#>//Error:
        //Unable to retrieve instances.

        /
      *
        OpenStack Queens -> In another case the *keystone module* was
        undiscovered:/

        Failed to discover available identity versions when contacting
        http://127.0.0.1/identity/v3. Attempting to parse version from
        URL.//
        Could not determine a suitable URL for the plugin/

Also installations from devstack are pointing on a bad repo branch by
default (Pika installation on Octa repo, Queens installation on Pika repo).

Thank you for any help,
Martin

--
  Martin Bobák, PhD.