[lxc-users] unprivileged containers and databases

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue Aug 7 22:45:19 UTC 2018

Which distro, and how did you install it?

Using ubuntu 18.04.1 host, bundled lxd 3.0.1-0ubuntu1~18.04.1, I was able
to start mariadb (10.1 bundled in ubuntu, as well as 10.2 and 10.3 from
https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/) in unpriv lxd
container just fine.

IIRC on openvpn its systemd service was causing problem (privatetmp or
something? can't remember the details now), so you might want to poke
around /lib/systemd/system/mariadb.service in case something similar is
causing a problem here. 'systemctl status mariadb' and /var/log/syslog
might also help provide some hints.

Another thing you might be able to try, is install it as priv container,
but then convert it to unpriv afterwards. This might help as a workaround
if whatever version of lxc/lxd you're using is having problems with
mariadb's post install script.

--
Fajar