[lxc-users] LXC Copying a running container

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Apr 20 13:05:03 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-20 21:58, Saint Michael wrote:
> I need to transfer a copy of a container that cannot be stopped. I
> donĀ“t mid if the data is slightly out of sync. Is there a way to do
> this? I tried lxc-copy and it fails because the source is running.

rsync?

On a destination server, create a container with the same operating
system/version.

Then copy it with rsync.

Please not that any files which are opened and in use, will most likely
be corrupt and unusable. Most certainly this will be true for any
database files, i.e. MySQL.

Also - if, on the source system, you have a filesystem with snapshotting
functionality, you can snapshot, and copy the snapshot.

Tomasz Chmielewski
https://lxadm.com