[lxc-users] [Solved] Re: How to get rid of pesky extra dhcp IP

David Favor david at davidfavor.com
Thu Apr 19 15:13:03 UTC 2018

jjs - mainphrame wrote:
> Thanks for the insights. The netplan and cloud packages look like
> something which might be indeed useful in uses cases other than mine.
> In retrospect I'm curious how 16.04 is working so well without netplan.
> Apparently further study is needed...

Netplan support begins with Artful (where Netplan + old style EIN coexist).

Netplan is default in Bionic... well sort of default Artful too.

My suggestion is when Bionic releases in a few days, start with a fresh system.

1) Install Bionic from scratch at machine level. No update, true install.

2) Install LXD via snap. No migration, true install.

3) Do an lxd copy remote:cname local:cname for each container, to move them
    from where ever they live to your Bionic machine.

The /etc/netplan/60-public-init.yaml file format I've been using, which works...

network:
    version: 2
    ethernets:
       eth0:
          match:
             name: eth0
          addresses:
          - X.X.X.X/32

The Netplan docs are... to me... are overly complex + difficult to understand.

For example, the eth0: above requires the match: operator (I guess) to differentiate
between base interface name + aliases.

Just start with the above Netplan config file + get your system working, then start
making whatever experimental changes seem useful.

Netplan is very unforgiving + in many cases syntax errors emit no errors/warnings,
so you have to do eyeball syntax checking.