[lxc-users] Suggestions regarding (ultimately) LXC 2.1.0 lxc-update-config

Adrian Pepper arpepper at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 4 19:35:08 UTC 2017

Does mentioning lxc.pivotdir really need to be a fatal error?  Currently
it seems fatal to the degree that "lxc-ls -f" does not show the
container at all, not RUNNING and not STOPPED.

Or, at least, could the lxc-update-config command be modified to
effectively delete mentions of lxc.pivotdir?
(Comment out or delete it; I see lxc.rootfs.backend gets deleted by
lxc-update-config; it might be nice if that also was done as commenting
out, instead).
It seems that "lxc-update-config" currently just leaves lxc.pivotdir alone.
(In the following version).

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3791 Sep 21 14:35 /usr/bin/lxc-update-config
(Ubuntu 16.04)

The messages indicating the need to update the config should be
improved to name the config file in question, and mention the
lxc-update-config command.

Perhaps...

  < The configuration file contains legacy configuration keys.
  < Please update your configuration file!
  ---
  > /var/lib/lxc/u1204-postfix-1/config contains legacy configuration keys.
  > "lxc-update-config" can be used to update most configuration files.

Oh, and "lxc-update-config" does not accept "--version".

Adrian Pepper
arpepper at uwaterloo.ca

Actual diagnostics associated with lxc.pivotdir...

lxc-start: u1204-postfix-1: confile.c: parse_line: 1982 Unknown configuration key "lxc.pivotdir"
lxc-start: u1204-postfix-1: parse.c: lxc_file_for_each_line: 58 Failed to parse config: lxc.pivotdir = lxc_putold

lxc-start: u1204-postfix-1: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 286 Failed to create lxc_container