[lxc-users] Bonding inside container? Or any other ideas?

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Tue Nov 21 23:38:55 UTC 2017

Greetings, All!

Some time ago I've managed to install a second network card into one of
my servers, and have been experimenting with bonding on host.
The field is: a host with two cards in one bond0 interface.
A number of containers sitting as macvlans on top of bond0.

Some success was achieved with bond mode 5 (balance-tlb) - approx 2:1 TX
counts with five clients, but all upload is weighted on one network card.

Attempt to change the mode to balance-alb(mode 6) immediately broke the
switch back to mode 5.

I suppose this happens because bonding balancer creates havoc with macvlan and
own bonding MAC addresses, which the network can't easily solve, or Windows
clients got picky and refuse to load stuff from randomly changed source.

While I could turn back to internal LXC bridge and route requests between it
and bond0 on host to dissolve the MAC issue, I'd like to see if there's a more
direct solution could be found, such as creating a bonding inside container?

Or if not, is there any other way to use bonding and maintain broadcast
visibility range between containers and the rest of the network?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...