[lxc-users] Using a mounted drive to handle storage pool

Lai Wei-Hwa whlai at robco.com
Tue Nov 21 18:37:18 UTC 2017

I've currently migrated LXD from canonical PPA to Snap.

I have 2 RAIDS:

    * /dev/sda - ext4 (this is root device)
    * /dev/sdb - brtfs (where I want my pool to be with the containers and snapshots)

How/where should I mount my btrfs device? What's the best practice in having the pool be in a non-root device?

There are a few approaches I can see

    1. mount /dev/sdb to /var/snap/lxd (or /var/lib/lxd - if you're using PPA) ... then: lxd init
    2. mount /dev/sdb to /storage and: ln -s /storage/lxd /var/snap/lxd ... then: lxd init
    3. lxd init and choose existing block device /dev/sdb

Whats the best practice and why?

Also, I'd love it if LXD could make this a little easier and let users more easily define where the storage pool will be located.

Best Regards,

Lai