[lxc-users] TTY issue

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 13:03:33 UTC 2017

Can you install an rsync daemon on the server side?  If so, simply create /etc/rsyncd.conf file with this:

[BACKUP]
comment = Allow RW access for backups
path = /usr/local/backup_dir
uid = root
hosts allow = 192.168.1.46, 192.168.1.47
read only = yes

Next, on each of your remote clients, simply run rsync via cron job to your server.   Something like this:

/usr/bin/rsync -arv /<local_dir> root at 192.168.1.10::BACKUP/192.168.1.46/

The above assumes your server IP is 192.168.1.10 and your client IP is 192.168.1.46.  Also, note the trailing slash (/) on the second rsync argument.  It ensures the files get put into the right directory.

I run rsync scripts each night on lots of client machines (specifically LXD containers running wordpress) to a central backup server.  It works great.

BTW: I don’t know if I could say rsync over a network mount is the worst possible solution ever.  I have used rsync for a long time and using a variety of network connections (rsync daemon, nfs, rsync via ssh).  My experience has shown rsync over ssh is by far the slowest because of the ssh cipher.  Rsync over nfs mount is very fast - almost as fast as a local copy.

-Ron