[lxc-users] instantiate_veth: 2669 failed to attach 'vethMU7OO1' to the bridge

Rick Leir rleir at leirtech.com
Mon May 29 07:56:53 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-28 07:57 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 5:58 AM, Rick Leir <rleir at leirtech.com
> <mailto:rleir at leirtech.com>> wrote:
>
>>>     # brctl show
>>>
>>>     bridge name    bridge id        STP enabled interfaces
>>>     virbr0        8000.525400c7428b    yes virbr0-nic
>>>     # lxc-checkconfig
>>>     <all enabled>
>>>
>>>     # lxc-create -n crowdsr -t fedora
>>>
>>>     # lxc-start -n crowdsr -F
>>>     lxc-start: conf.c: instantiate_veth: 2669 failed to attach
>>>     'vethMU7OO1'
>>>     to the bridge 'lxcbr0': Operation not permitted
>>
>>     brctl shows only virbr0; you are trying to attach to lxcbr0
>>     which, apparently, doesn't exist.  I thought lxc created that but
>>     you can add it with
>>
>>       brctl addbr lxcbr0
>     Mike
>     Thanks so much for this. It led me to virsh and eventually to the
>     Fedora doco at
>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LXC
>     <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LXC>
>

> Hmmm ... that doc is outdated in several ways.
>
>     which is where I should have searched first. After I start
>     libvirtd, it tells me to:
>     Edit the file /etc/lxc/default.conf and change the parameter
>     'lxc.network.link' from 'lxcbr0' to 'virbr0':
>
>     Then I can create and start a container successfully. Woo woo
>

> There are at least several tools that make use of linux container
> capabilites:
> - lxc/lxd
> - libvirt
> - docker
> - systemd-nspawn
>
> IMHO the easiest way to use lxc is with lxd. Unofficial packages
> exists (at least it did in the past) for fedora, but the easiest way
> to get started with lxd is on ubuntu (a live trial is available on
> https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/try-it/).
Fajar,
I did consider using LXD, but it did not seem to have significant
benefits compared with LXC so I went with the tried-and-true. The
welcome page could have a better comparison of LXD vs plain LXC, and I
could have been persuaded!.  Oh, and I use Fedora for my servers for
various reasons which might only matter to me. And Ubuntu on my desktops
and Chromebook.

> Libvirt has its own lxc driver (http://libvirt.org/drvlxc.html), and
> you manage it using 'virsh'. lxc1 has its own userland tools (e.g.
> lxc-create), and by default should include an init script which
> creates lxcbr0 (with its appropriate NAT rules). The wiki link you
> mentioned mix both, using libvirt ONLY for the bridge, while using
> lxc1 userland tools to manage the container. IMHO not an ideal setup.
>
> Another thing, the page says 'debootstrap is necessary in order to
> build Debian-based containers'. That is true if you want to build a
> debian/ubuntu container from scratch, but for most users the
> 'download' template should be enough (and MUCH faster to create) and
> it doesn't need debootstrap/dpkg installed on the host.
I used 'debootstrap', for a debian container, but I might have used
'download' if I knew more about it. For a person choosing an option
without more info, a fair guess would be 'use download if no other
choice is an option'. How could the cli communicate this better? Now I
have tried 'download', it is the old cli which I am used to.

My, the debian containers are basic.
   # ls -al
   bash: ls: command not found

Thanks for the info