[lxc-users] instantiate_veth: 2669 failed to attach 'vethMU7OO1' to the bridge

Rick Leir rleir at leirtech.com
Sun May 28 22:58:04 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-28 02:37 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> On 05/28/2017 10:46 AM, Rick Leir wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry for being so terse in the last post. It has been a year since I
>> used LXC, and everything worked easily then.  Now, with a new Fedora 26
>> system, it is not straightforward. How would you troubleshoot this?
>>

>> # brctl show
>>
>> bridge name    bridge id        STP enabled    interfaces
>> virbr0        8000.525400c7428b    yes        virbr0-nic
>> # lxc-checkconfig
>> <all enabled>
>>
>> # lxc-create -n crowdsr -t fedora
>>
>> # lxc-start -n crowdsr -F
>> lxc-start: conf.c: instantiate_veth: 2669 failed to attach 'vethMU7OO1'
>> to the bridge 'lxcbr0': Operation not permitted
>
> brctl shows only virbr0; you are trying to attach to lxcbr0 which,
> apparently, doesn't exist.  I thought lxc created that but you can add
> it with
>
>   brctl addbr lxcbr0
Mike
Thanks so much for this. It led me to virsh and eventually to the Fedora
doco at
   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LXC

which is where I should have searched first. After I start libvirtd, it
tells me to:
   Edit the file /etc/lxc/default.conf and change the parameter
'lxc.network.link' from 'lxcbr0' to 'virbr0':

Then I can create and start a container successfully. Woo woo
cheers -- Rick