[lxc-users] Possible bug

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Fri May 19 01:01:05 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 7:45 AM, gunnar.wagner <gunnar.wagner at netcologne.de>
wrote:

> a bit OT related to this thread but from what Fajar has posted here it
> almost sounds like you shouldn't/couldn't use debian inside a container
> unless you are prepared to conduct far from trivial post launch system
> tweaking (reinstalling systemd was mentioned)
>
> Is that a valid assumption?

Distros generally needed some level of adjustmet to run nicely inside a
container. Some of the adjustments might not be necessary anymore as the
required patches make their way upstream, and trickle down to the distro.

Ubuntu sponsors lxc. Thus it make sense for them to integrate the patches
internally on their distro. Which makes running ubuntu containers easy.

Container templates integrate SOME known workarounds needed to run distros
inside a container. If there's a template, then it should run fine (as
least for most common usecase) as PRIVILEGED container. However
unprivileged (and especially related to systemd) is a special case. IIRC
the necessary systemd support only make it upstream after jessie was
released. I'm not sure whether jessie backports those changes (last time I
tested was several months ago, back then it still needs systemd from
squeeze to run correctly as unpriv container).

For this specific case, if you look at
https://github.com/lxc/lxc/blob/master/templates/lxc-debian.in#L100 , the
debian template creates the symlink. Which should work fine. The problem
that OP experienced happened because he deleted the symlink.

--
Fajar