[lxc-users] LXD/LXC 2.12 - LVM Backed Storage - Grow Pools/Volumes

Neil Bowers neil_bowers at glasken.com
Fri Mar 31 21:48:15 UTC 2017

I'm having some trouble growing my LVM-backed storage after the defaults
were set.

I do think I've managed to increase the total size of the pool using:

lxc storage set lxc-vg volume.size 40GB

as lxc storage get lxc-vg volume.size now reports 40GB instead of 20GB.

So if I'm understanding the documentation correctly, this should expand the
total storage of the lxc-vg pool to 40GB (side note: if that's what
'volume.size' does, shouldn't it really be 'pool.size' as it's a pool level
property, not a volume level one?), and now I want to resize the pool of my
container.

But when I attempt to do so with:

lxc storage volume set lxc-vg container/minecraft size 20GB

I get "error: The properties "[size]" cannot be changed."

Does changing the size require the container to be stopped? It's in
production, so I haven't stopped it to test.

If not, then how do I increase the available storage to the container?