[lxc-users] nfs server in [unprivileged] container?

Spike spike at drba.org
Wed Mar 29 16:28:58 UTC 2017

Dear all,

I need to set up a nfs server and was considering doing it in a container,
in part because it helps keeping thins in lxc, which is true for 99% of the
stuff I have, but also because of the need to integrate with ldap etc, and
the desire to avoid having all of that on the host that runs other
containers.

However, even based off this thread on the zfs ml, this seems to be a bad
idea:

http://list.zfsonlinux.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2017-March/027822.html

is anybody here doing something like that that could share come tips? is
this indeed a no-no? clients would not be on other containers on the same
server btw. One option I was considering was to expose an additional volume
from the host to the nfs-server container and if any other container needed
it they could access it directly. But there is still the problem of
privileged container and potential issues managing zfs from inside, which
I'd want to be able to use zfs share and create datasets for users.

thank you for any input,

Spike