[lxc-users] subuids and subgid range with multiple LXC containers

BIGOT Adrien adrien.bigot at smile.fr
Tue Mar 28 18:41:29 UTC 2017

Hello,

Actually hosting many containers (2000+) with OpenVZ technology, we want
to move to LXC/LXD.
The goal is to host up to 20 unprivilegied containers per hypervisor.
I'd like to know if there is some best practice regarding subuid and
subgid in particular if we must have one range of subuid/subgid per
containers or not.

For example, if I have 3 containers can I configure them with the same
lines :
lxc.id_map = u 0 100000 65536
lxc.id_map = g 0 100000 65536

or

lxc.id_map = u 0 100000 65536
lxc.id_map = g 0 100000 65536

lxc.id_map = u 0 200000 65536
lxc.id_map = g 0 200000 65536

lxc.id_map = u 0 300000 65536
lxc.id_map = g 0 300000 65536

I didn't find any documentation about this, just a few config examples
on the web.

Thanks in advance for your help !

--
  Adrien BIGOT