[lxc-users] Failed upgrade lxd 2.8 to 2.11 on ubuntu 16.04lts via ppa

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 14 00:53:38 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 06:18:28PM +0100, MonkZ wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have storage issues after an upgrade:
>
> from lxd 2.8 to lxd 2.11, using ppa on ubuntu 16.04LTS.
>
> Apparently zfs.img moved to disks/lxd.zfs in /var/lib/lxd/ causing zfs
> to fail to start via zfs-import-cache.service.
> I was able to "workaround" it via symlink.
>
> LXD still won't start, and aborts with: "lxd[3182]: error: No "source"
> property found for the storage pool.". Any ideas in this matter?
>
> MfG
> MonkZ

We've had a couple of reports of similar failure, typically caused by an
interrupted upgrade (systemd timeout or manual intervention).

To recover from it, the easiest so far seems to be:
 - systemctl stop lxd.service lxd.socket
 - cp /var/lib/lxd/lxd.db /var/lib/lxd/lxd.db.broken
 - cp /var/lib/lxd/lxd.db.bak /var/lib/lxd/lxd.db
 - lxd --debug --group lxd

You should then see LXD start and slowly upgrade the storage for all
containers. Once it's done and you can interact with it again (can take
several minutes), then you can ctrl-c that process and do:

 - systemctl start lxd.socket lxd.service

Which will have systemd spawn LXD the usual way again.

We do have some fixes related to this issue in our git tree now to
automatically discover interrupted upgrades and recover from them
without having to use the procedure above.

If this doesn't work for you, please file an issue at
https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues so we can find exactly what happened
to your LXD and give you more specific instructions to recover.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer