[lxc-users] Questions on how to "lxd init" again, reinstall, upgrade and downgrade

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 14 00:11:22 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I am writing a post on LXD and
1. how to run "lxd init" again (keeping the ZFS allocated space)
2. how to run "lxd init" again (clearing up the ZFS allocated space,
allocate fresh space)
3. how to upgrade to the latest (currently 2.11) version
4. how to downgrade

Here is how I plan to tackle these issues:
1. how to run "lxd init" again (keeping the ZFS allocated space)
>> requires to "sudo systemctl stop lxd.service"
>> requires to "sudo zpool destroy mylxdpool"
>> then "nmcli connection delete lxdbr0" (to delete the bridge)
|--> now "lxd init" and select to reuse the ZFS device

2. how to run "lxd init" again (clearing up the ZFS allocated space,
allocate fresh space)
>> requires to "sudo systemctl stop lxd.service"
>> requires to "sudo zpool destroy mylxdpool"
>> then "nmcli connection delete lxdbr0"
>> remove everything in /var/lib/lxd/
>> remove everything in /var/log/lxd/
|--> now "lxd init" and select to reuse the ZFS device

3. how to upgrade to the latest (currently 2.11) version
>> Enable the lxd-stable PPA (has 2.11)
|--> then "sudo apt install lxd", which will bring in "lxd-client".

4. how to downgrade
(AFAIK, downgrading is not expected to be tested, so it requires to
remove everything (case [2]),
downgrade "lxd" and "lxd-client", then "lxd init".

If there is any big no-no in the above, I would love to hear about it!

Cheers,
Simos