[lxc-users] How to check DNS records of containers

Adil Baig simplyadilb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 16:12:40 UTC 2017

I actually don't have a separate dnsmasq instance running on the host. It's
just the one that lxd manages. (DNS from inside the containers do work, but
that's not my concern)

I realised forwarding queries to the lxd dnsmasq does work, ex:

dig @10.0.1.1 +short devop-tools.lxd
10.0.1.66

But just `dig +short devop-tools.lxd` doesn't. Which means the queries are
not being forwarded to the lxds dnsmasq. I have added a nameserver entry to
/etc/resolv.conf, but that hasn't helped.

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 87.117.198.200
nameserver 87.117.237.100
nameserver 87.117.196.200
nameserver 10.0.1.1

Also, from what I've read /etc/resolv.conf this will get overridden on
reboot, so this isn't a solution that will survive a reboot. Any ideas?