[lxc-users] ?==?utf-8?q? LXD - upgrade from 2.08 to 2.12 enables BTRFS quota

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Jun 5 01:28:29 UTC 2017

FYI btrfs quotas are not yet "stable" even in the newest kernel (4.11.x as we speak).

Reference: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Status

There are also btrfs quota problems mentioned on btrfs mailing lists quite often (severe performance problems, inaccurate or even negative counts, especially when snapshots are in use; kernel crashes/stability issues).

So making LXD enable it automatically might be premature - btrfs quotas might work in two or five years from now, but they are not there yet. If LXD wants to support it - fine; but IMO don't enable it by default, add a big fat warning for the user about the potential issues and document a way to enable it manually.

Tomasz Chmielewski
https://lxadm.com