[lxc-users] MAC address prefix

Joshua Schaeffer jschaeffer0922 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 05:25:03 UTC 2017

Is it possible to set a mac address prefix on a profile or container? I see in /etc/lxc/defaults.conf that the 'lxc.network.hwaddr has unspecified placeholders (i.e. 00:16:3e:xx:xx:xx). However if I try to do this on a profile it says that only interface specific network keys are allowed:

    lxduser at blllxd01:~$ lxc profile set 30_vlan_mgmt_server raw.lxc lxc.network.hwaddr=00:16:3e:1e:xx:xx
    error: Only interface-specific ipv4/ipv6 lxc.network. keys are allowed

And the "x" placeholder doesn't fly on an actual network device either. It would be nice to be able to set a prefix based on a profile, not just globally.

Using LXD 2.15.

Thanks,
Joshua Schaeffer