[lxc-users] suddenly I cannot start lxcs due to cgroup error

John da_audiophile at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 08:18:44 UTC 2017

I have been running lxcs for over a year without issues on an Odroid-C2 running Arch ARM (aarch64).  Recently, I am unable to start any of the containers due to some errors around cgroups.  This happened today after an update where 4 packages got updated but note that downgrading them back to the last-good versions and a reboot did not fix the problem.  I am not finding anything contemporary when googling for causes.  Advice is appreciated.

libsystemd (232-8 -> 233-6)
systemd (232-8 -> 233-6)
device-mapper (2.02.171-1 -> 2.02.172-1)
python2 (2.7.13-2 -> 2.7.13-3)
systemd-sysvcompat (232-8 -> 233-6)

Below is an example of the error when starting in foreground mode:

# lxc-start -n base-odroid64 -F
systemd 233 running in system mode. (+PAM -AUDIT -SELINUX -IMA -APPARMOR +SMACK -SYSVINIT +UTMP +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ +LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS +KMOD +IDN default-hierarchy=hybrid)
Detected virtualization lxc.
Detected architecture arm64.

Welcome to Arch Linux ARM!

Set hostname to <base-odroid64>.
Cannot determine cgroup we are running in: No medium found
Failed to allocate manager object: No medium found
[!!!!!!] Failed to allocate manager object, freezing.
Freezing execution.