[lxc-users] hot plug usb storage

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Jan 25 16:28:31 UTC 2017

I'd like to backup some file inside a container on a usb hot plugged drive.

While I can:

lxc.aa_profile = lxc-container-default-with-mounting
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = b 8:* rwm

+

lxc-device --name [NAME] add /dev/[PARTITION]

and then

mount /dev/[PARTITION] /mnt/somewhere
umount /mnt/somewhere

But there is no
lxc-device remove

and I can't recycle device names in the guest.

eg.
Once I issue

lxc-device --name [NAME] add /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdc1

there is no way to

lxc-device --name [NAME] add /dev/sdd1 /dev/sdc1

I get no error but /dev/sdc1 in the guest is still pointing to sdc1 in
the host.

Furthermore, no matter if the usb is plugged or not the /dev entry in
the guest is permanent and I don't know how to check if there is a real
device behind it.

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo