[lxc-users] Lxd stable vs development

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 16 00:58:11 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 01:16:53AM +1300, Alex Clarke wrote:
> Bit confused as to the differences between stable (2.09) and development
>  (2.8) what's the major differences between the two, functionality wise? Is
> there benefit to go with development when building a non business critical
> host?

https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/news should give you some idea of what's new.

For LXD 2.0.x, we only backport bug and security fixes so you won't be
getting new features when staying on the LTS branch (which is precisely
what most production environments want).

Going with the latest feature release (LXD 2.8 right now) will get you
things like the LXD network management API, attach of GPU and USB
devices, recursive file transfers, configurable syscall filtering, PKI
mode, PATCH REST operations and a bunch of extra configuration options.

Both the latest LTS release and the latest stable release are actively
supported by upstream LXD, so pick whichever works best for you.

Note that we push new feature releases about once a month and don't
support previous ones, so if you go with those, you'll be asked to
upgrade to the latest should you ever file a bug report.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer