[lxc-users] Problem starting container when network is set to macvlan (on an wlan physical interface)

Gros Lalo gros.lalo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 08:19:42 UTC 2017

Hi,

I just found some explanation as to why the macvlan mode will not work on
Wifi: https://superuser.com/questions/1113812/how-to-
configure-macvlan-interface-for-getting-the-ip/1114044

"
Macvlans are not built to work on wireless interfaces. The reason is that
all APs will reject frames originating from a MAC address which did not
authenticate with them, while the whole point of macvlans is exactly to
provide new subinterfaces with their own MAC address, different from that
of the physical interface. It is thus no surprise that when you try to
enable a default gateway on the macvlan interface, which automatically
tears down the original gateway on the wlan0 interface (remember the rule: one
default gateway per routing table only), you are left without a connection.
"

Kind regards