[lxc-users] Running LXD on those new ARM64 cloud servers by Scaleway

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sat Apr 29 07:41:45 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Simos Xenitellis <
simos.lists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've put together my notes about running LXD on those new ARM64 cloud
> servers by Scaleway.

Thanks for the info.

> 1. These are inexpensive cloud servers. Not baremetal, but KVM. On
> ARM64 (Cavium ThunderX) hardware.
> 2. The Linux kernel lacks ZFS support, thus requires to compile it by
> hand. Takes time and effort (-1). Have script (+1).

How is their kernel (and ubuntu distro) differ from upstream ubuntu?
Looking at https://www.ubuntu.com/download/server/arm ,
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=zfsutils-linux , and
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=linux-generic-hwe , I thought
you can have ubuntu 16.04.2 as-is on arm with kernel 4.10
(from linux-generic-hwe-16.04-edge). Yet your blog shows kernel 4.9. Is it
scaleway-scpecifc? Does ubuntu's kernel work?

> 3. LXD complains that AppArmor is not complete, thus requires config
> option to continue. Not sure what is missing.

My hunch is that their kernel is custom, based on upstream, and don't have
latest apparmor kernel patches. Which is why it'd be interesting if
ubuntu's kernel can work as-is (especially since you say it's KVM, so there
should be minimal hardware complications).

--
Fajar