[lxc-users] LXD firewall container?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Fri Apr 28 00:25:25 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 1:05 AM, Ron Kelley <rkelleyrtp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback, Spike.  After looking around for a while, I, too,
> decided a small ubuntu container with a minimal firewall tool is the way to
> go.  In my case, I used “ufw” but will also look at "firehol”.
>
> Our firewall/NAT requirements are not very large, and I finally figured
> out the right set of rules we need.  In essence, we just need to add these
> to the /etc/ufw/before.rules file and restart ufw:

with ONLY changes to /etc/ufw/before.rules, the NAT rules would be
reapplied (resulting multiple rules on NAT table) whenever you restart ufw.
No big deal if you plan to restart the container anyway on every rule
change (or never plan to change the rules), but not ideal if your plan is
to use "ufw reload".

In my case I had to separate ufw NAT rules into a new custom chain,
ufw-before-prerouting:

- edit /etc/ufw/before.init (copy it from /usr/share/ufw/before.init), and
make it executable (e.g. chmod 700). Snippet of edited lines:

start)
    iptables -t nat -N ufw-before-prerouting || true
    iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -j ufw-before-prerouting || true
    ;;
stop)
    iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -j ufw-before-prerouting || true
    iptables -t nat -F ufw-before-prerouting || true
    iptables -t nat -X ufw-before-prerouting || true
    ;;

- add NAT lines to /etc/ufw/before.rules to look similar to this:

# nat Table rules
*nat
:ufw-before-prerouting - [0:0]

# DNAT example
-A ufw-before-prerouting -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 21122 -j DNAT --to
10.0.3.211:22

--
Fajar