[lxc-users] how do you create an image from scratch?

Spike spike at drba.org
Wed Apr 26 14:40:30 UTC 2017

yeah I've seen that link before and used the lxd image publish / export
approach (it's what I'm doing right now in fact). However that post isn't
very clear on what it takes to start from scratch. There is a section on
"Manually building an image", but the critical step (2), says: "Configure
anything that’s needed for the distribution to work properly in a container
(if anything is needed)." and that's really what I'm asking here.

Because I have everything set up with a fair amount of "magic" to pxe boot
and configure bare metal and KVM instances, I'd like to use that process
and avoid having to write more to create the rootfs.

So maybe a better question would be, given a qcow2 (or raw) image created
with kvm, what are the necessary steps to convert that so that it can be
used inside a container? that said having the same steps starting from
debootstrap could be handy.

hope that clarifies my intention and situation.

thanks,

Spike