[lxc-users] lxd init - howto

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 21 11:47:04 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:33 PM, gunnar.wagner
<gunnar.wagner at netcologne.de> wrote:
> is there any how-to about which options to choose and why during the 'lxd
> init' process available anywhere?

I am interested in writing something up about this. I have a draft on my blog..

What I would cover:
1. Initial run of "lxd init". The choice for the storage backend is
between "dir", "zfs", "btrfs", "lvm".
"lxd init" checks what utilities you have installed, and will show
"btrfs" or "lvm" as well.
For "zfs", it shows it anyway, even if zfsutilis-linux was not
installed yet (complains later).

2. Suppose you made a mistake and you want to "lxd init" again.
Here it is a bit tricky, and it works a bit different between LXD 2.0
and LXD 2.12.
Requires to clean up the storage backend and perhaps clear up the
network interface.

3. Suppose you want to upgrade from LXD 2.0.x to latest stable? Done
automatically.
Downgrade? Need to clean up everything and "lxd init" again.

Simos