[lxc-users] lxc1 Vs lxc2 vs lxd and libvirt

Spike spike at drba.org
Sun Apr 2 17:37:49 UTC 2017

Dear all,

when I started to look into containers LXD was "the thing" so I picked that
up and ran with it.

however after a few months and a few more users who would like to use
containers + the need for some kvm machines, has brought me to reconsider
that decision.

First off, I'm not really sure where you draw the line between lxd and lxc.
>From this:

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/14/lxd-2-0-introduction-to-lxd/

it's almost like lxd is a wrapper API and a saner set of defaults around
lxc. However as I looked to try "lxc" I ran into more questions.

First off, this page (https://linuxcontainers.org/lxc/introduction/) talks
about lxc1 and lxc2 release. It sounds like I should go with 2 as it's
supported through 2021, however if I look at apt-get'ing lxc2 you can see:

apt-cache show lxc2
Description-en: Container hypervisor based on LXC - metapackage
LXD offers a REST API to remotely manage containers over the network,
using an image based workflow and with support for live migration.
.
This is a dummy metapackage to install LXD and its client.

So from this it doesn't even look like there's a lxc2, there's just lxc1
and lxd. Is that the case? If sow what's the LXC2 listed on that page? I
want to avoid to use stuff that will be dropped in the near future.

Eventually I'd like to integrate lxc with libvirt because through
virt-manager it makes it really nice and easy for less cli savvy users to
manage all kinds of virtualization and it's not as intrusive as say proxmox
which on ubuntu doesn't even seem to work (their installation process is
broken and I don't want to install their iso).

thank you for your help,

Spike