[lxc-users] Will there be an extra section added to the LXD 2.0 blog post series for the new Networking capabilities?

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 29 03:32:40 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 12:24:29PM +0900, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> >>    "cross-host tunnels with GRE or VXLAN"
> >>
> >>Interesting!
> >>
> >>Will it be limited to 2 LXD servers only, or will it allow an arbitrary
> >>number of LXD servers (2, 3, 4 and more)?
> >
> >You can add as many tunnels to the configuration as you want.
> >
> >The default VXLAN configuration also uses multicast, so any host that's
> >part of the same multicast group will be connected.
>
> Multicast... so that's not going to work for most of people with popular
> server hostings, since they don't offer multicast.

Well, you get to choose. You can have any number of:
 - GRE tunnels (unicast IPv4)
 - VXLAN group (multicast IPv4)
 - VXLAN point-to-point (unicast IPv4)

For example:
  # GRE unicast
  tunnel.tun-a.protocol: gre
  tunnel.tun-a.local: 1.2.3.4
  tunnel.tun-a.remote: 1.2.3.5

  # VXLAN multicast (default group and id)
  tunnel.tun-b.protocol: vxlan

  # VXLAN unicast
  tunnel.tun-c.protocol: vxlan
  tunnel.tun-c.local: 1.2.3.4
  tunnel.tun-c.remote: 1.2.3.5

As I said, you can have any number of those tunnels defined for any
bridge, well, up to the bridge capacity, but that's 4096 or so and even
then, all you need to do is set "bridge.driver: openvswitch" and that
limit will be gone :)

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer