[lxc-users] Container free memory vs host and OOM errors

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Tue Sep 27 15:56:31 UTC 2016

Greetings, Mathias Gibbens!

>   It looks like the fix for that regression wasn't included until 4.7.5.
> I'm compiling it and will see if I still get the OOM errors. However, my
> original question still stands: is the difference in reported available
> memory between containers and the host intentional, or a bug?

It's likely a misfeature.
Container sees the available RAM, count RAM used by its processes, and
calculating free memory from them two with no way to know that it's not the
only one using the memory.
I'd suggest you always limit container memory, even if only marginally (say,
40-60% of available RAM), if you know you'd be running heavy processes inside
them from time to time.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin