[lxc-users] Has anyone ever configured or used LPVS with LXD/LXC before?

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:45:35 UTC 2016

A few years ago I'd done some experimentation with LPVS but that was before
I began using LXC/LXD and had forgotten about it since.

LPVS has been in the Linux kernel for nearly 15 years now!

Recently I read that someone has utilized LPVS capabilities with docker
containers:
https://blog.codeship.com/kernel-load-balancing-for-docker-containers-using-ipvs/

That Uber dev also put out a GO application to help admin/provision the
IPVS called GORB:
https://github.com/kobolog/gorb

GORB (Go Routing and Balancing) is described as:

Go Routing and Balancing
> This daemon is an IPVS frontend with a REST API interface. You can use it
> to control local IPVS instance in the Kernel to dynamically register
> virtual services and backends. It also supports basic TCP and HTTP health
> checks (called Gorb Pulse).
>
>    - TCP: tries to establish a TCP connection to the backend's host and
>    port.
>

>    - HTTP: tries to fetch a specified location from backend's host and
>    port.
>
> Backends which fail to pass the health check will have weights set to zero
> to inhibit any traffic from being routed into their direction. When a
> backend comes back online, GORB won't immediately set its weight to the
> previous value, but instead gradually restore it based on backend's
> accumulated health statistics.
>
> GORB also supports basic service discovery registration via *Consul
> <https://www.consul.io/>: *just pass in the *Consul* endpoint to GORB and
> it will take care of everything else – your services will be registered
> with names like nginx-80-tcp. Keep in mind that you can use Consul's
> built-in DNS server to make it even easier to discover your services!
>
> Check out these* slides for my DockerCon EU 2015 talk
> <http://www.slideshare.net/kobolog/ipvs-for-docker-containers>* for more
> information about IPVS, GORB and how to use it with Docker.

There is already a *Consul* setup/config tool for LXD:
 https://github.com/badmadrad/lxd-consul
<https://github.com/badmadrad/lxd-consul>

So I thought I'd ask if anyone had any experience setting up or using LPVS
with LXD containers?

Brian