[lxc-users] Full multiuser desktop experience on LXC

Veselin Sinanov vsinanov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 09:59:16 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I need help, and I have search around via google, but still have struggle
with that. I hope someone can help me here.

I have linux box set up with LXC/LXD installed. I can create different
containers using different images, but I want to do the following. I want to
create an container with installed Linux Mint (distribution) in it. I want
that container to have full GUI desktop experience as it is regular linux
box or other pure virtual technologies (like VirtualBox). I want other users
to be able to login into that via GUI login (remote or on seat). So, my
questions are:

1.       Is that even possible to be achieved?

2.       If yes, what scheme would you suggest, the X11 server to be
installed inside container or the host's x11 server to be shared? Though the
host will be Ubuntu server distribution (natively without GUI support).

3.       Is it possible to share the same hardware devices among linux
containers and how that can be achieved?

4.       Let's say that I have set up desktop distribution on host machine,
what will be the best easy way to create LXC image from that installation
and use it as launch source to launch other LXC containers from it?

I really will be glad anyone can help me with those questions.

Best Regards

Veselin