[lxc-users] Big snapshots abort...

Michel Dubé md at humanity.net
Sat Nov 26 02:41:37 UTC 2016

Hi,

After the last updates of lxd and lxc1  to 2.62 & 2.0.6 on an Ubuntu 14.04
system, I have a problem when snapshotting a big container (25GB). One of
the 3 rsync processes keeps its D state and the snapshot is never ending.

After several tries, I don't understand what's going on.

If I compare the snapshot with the container, I get the same size on both,
same number of files and directories but suddenly, just when everything is
supposed to be finished, the container switch to FROZEN state.

I can start the container but no change on rsync processes.  I can kill
the uninterruptible rsync process and the snapshot abort giving me this
error message:

error: rsync failed: rsync: [sender] write error: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(837)
[sender=3.1.0]

I have no problem with smaller snapshots that are 2-3 or 4 GB.

I do this big snapshot once a week without any problem since 4 months.

Any idea about this?

Michel