[lxc-users] Issue with physical nictype

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 4 14:27:46 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 02:43:14PM +0100, Wolfgang Bumiller wrote:

> > On November 4, 2016 at 1:36 PM "Tardif, Christian" <christian.tardif at servinfo.ca> wrote:
> >
> > No issue when I bring the container up. The ipvlan0 interface is passed
> > to the container, dissapearing from the host. But when I shut the
> > container off, the nic is not released to the LXD host. As such, I can't
> > restart the container again, as the NIC is no longer available from the
> > LXD server to be offered to the container.
> >
> > How can I fix this behavior?
>
> Does it not reappear on the host at all or is it perhaps just renamed to
> the "dev<ID>"? (This happens when the name the interface has inside the
> container conflicts with a name on the host.)
> In this case https://github.com/lxc/lxc/pull/1269 should help.

ipvlan devices are virtual devices which means that the Linux kernel
will destroy them when the network namespace is flushed rather than have
them be moved to the initial namespace.

Same is true for tun/tap devices, dummy devices, ... anything which
isn't an actual physical device will simply be destroyed by the kernel
rather than moved back.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer